Resize Text: |

Register as a Dentist

The dental register is divided into a Full Registration, Conditional Registration and Temporary Registration. This division will allow for restrictions on the practice of dentistry in respect of each sub-register to be drawn up, proportionate to the qualifications and experience of the dentist in that sub-register, in the interest of safeguarding dental standards and public safety.

For more information on the sub-registers, please click on:


Use of professional titles and designations

For dentists under Division I of the register, who are not registered under the Dental Specialist Register, they may use titles such as "Dental Surgeon", "Dentist" or " General Dental Practitioner".

For dentists under Division II of the register, they may use titles such as “Registered Dentist” or “Dentist”.

For Dentists registered under the Dental Specialist Register, they will only use the titles " Dental Specialist in (Specialty)" or the title of "Endodontist"; "Orthodontist"; "Oral-Maxillofacial Surgeon"; "Periodontist"; "Pedodontist" or "Prosthodontist".

Designations such as "Registrar, Senior Registrar, Associate Consultant, Consultant, Senior Consultant" are hospital or institution appointments can only be used by registered hospital or institution appointed staff. These designations should not be linked to any specialty of Dentistry eg "Consultant Prosthodontist". These designations and appointments should instead relate to departments, hospitals or institutions awarding such designations.

The use of such titles, designations and qualifications should be used as follows:


BDS (S'pore), Grad Dip Dental Implantology (S'pore)
Dental Surgeon
XYZ Dental Clinic




BDS (S'pore); MSc (Endodontics) Lond
Dental Specialist in Endodontics (or Endodontist)
Consultant, Dept of

Use of titles and appointments conferred by overseas institutions

Dentist, who has been conferred titles and appointments by overseas institutions, should not display such titles and appointments on their local clinic stationery. However, he/she can list such titles or appointments on their conferring university’s or institution’s name cards, stationery or any other business cards (not local clinic stationery).