Allows a doctor to practise independently in Singapore.
Full registration may be granted to a doctor who:
- holds an MBBS degree awarded by the National University of Singapore and a certificate of experience as proof of satisfactory completion of housemanship; or
- holds an MD degree awarded by the Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore, a certificate of experience as proof of satisfactory completion of PGY1 training and completed USMLE step 3 examination or equivalent; or
- holds such qualifications as may be recognised by the Medical Council and a certificate of experience as proof of satisfactory completion of housemanship and satisfies the Medical Council that he has special knowledge and skills and sufficient experience in any particular branch of medicine; or
- having been Conditionally-registered, has completed a specified period of full-time service or equivalent under conditional registration; and
- having obtained consistently good assessment reports on his / her performance throughout the period of provisional or conditional registration; and
- has taken the Physician’s Pledge1.
The applicant is also advised to refer to SMC’s website for the prevailing criteria for full medical registration.
Please note that SMC will only accept applications for full registration no earlier than 3 months before the doctor's eligibility to apply for full registration, based on the stipulated period of practice under conditional registration.
1Attendance at the Pledge ceremony is strictly by invitation only. Attendance at the event is compulsory for doctors who wish to be fully registered. However, please note that an invitation to attend the Pledge ceremony and attending the Pledge ceremony itself do not equate to approval of the application.
Applications for Full registration must be submitted using the prescribed form and accompanied by the following:
|(i)||Complete the "Application form for Medical Registration"* (available under "Downloads & Forms" in our website);|
|(ii)||Updated curriculum vitae;|
|(iii)||Supporting testimonials from current Head of Department and Chairman Medical Board or Medical Director;
|(iv)||Payment of prescribed fee for application;
|(v)||Recent assessment report from supervisor & multi-rater reports from peers, where applicable; (SMC will request for recent reports from employing institution directly, upon receipt of the application.).|
|*For item (i), applicants are required to complete Pg 1 – Pg 6 of the “Application form for Medical Registration” form only. Supporting documents stated on the front page of the application form are not applicable for application for full registration.