(A) Procedure for Medical Registration
Application for medical registration must be submitted through a local employer in Singapore. However, satisfaction of the criteria for medical registration per se does not mean automatic approval for registration. Each application for medical registration will be considered on its own merits.
To be eligible for medical registration, the applicant must:
- possess a basic medical degree to comply with the requirements of the Medical Registration Act (Cap 174); and
- be bona fide; and
- have a job offer or an offer of training position in a healthcare institution approved by SMC; and
- be in good standing, i.e. does not have complaints or disciplinary actions taken against him or investigations pending against him: and
- pass the national licensing examination as required in the country where the basic medical degree was conferred (where applicable)
The Medical Council will also consider other factors such as:
- Whether the doctor has been in active clinical practice prior to application;
- The duration of inactive clinical practice;
- Past working experiences overseas and locally.