1. The Singapore Medical Council will be holding an election from Monday, 1 August 2016 to Monday, 15 August 2016 by way of online voting to fill two (2) positions in the Medical Council arising from the expiry of the term of office for the following elected members on 10 October 2016:
a) Dr Hong Ga Sze
b) Dr Leong Choon Kit
2. The SMC would like to invite all fully registered medical practitioners to nominate not more than two (2) registered medical practitioners who are resident in Singapore to stand for election. Your nomination must be made with the consent of the candidate and seconded by another fully registered medical practitioner. You may download, print and complete the Nomination Form (one form for each nominated candidate) from our SMC website.
3. Please submit the original completed form(s) to the Singapore Medical Council located at 16 College Road #01-01 College of Medicine Building Singapore 169854 by hand or by registered mail during the Nomination period from Wednesday, 15 June 2016 (9 am) to Wednesday, 22 June 2016 (12 noon). No photocopies or faxed copies of the original completed form will be accepted.
4. In accordance with Section 8 of the Medical Registration Act (MRA) and Regulation 5(2) of the Medical Registration Regulations, to be eligible to stand for election, the candidate must:
(a) be a citizen or permanent resident of Singapore;
(b) be a fully registered medical practitioner resident in Singapore with at least 10 years’ experience in the practice of medicine and who has in force a practising certificate at the time of nomination;
(c) not be an undischarged bankrupt;
(d) not have been convicted in Singapore or elsewhere of any offence involving fraud, dishonesty or moral turpitude or implying a defect in character which makes him unfit for his profession;
(e) not have been found guilty in Singapore or elsewhere of any improper act or conduct which brings disrepute to his profession;
(f) not have been found guilty in Singapore or elsewhere of professional misconduct; or
(g) not have his fitness to practise as a medical practitioner impaired by reason of his physical or mental condition.
5. The candidate is required to sign the declaration section in the Nomination Form and to declare that none of the disqualifications stated in Section 8 of the MRA (as stated in paragraph 4 of this notice) apply to him.
6. Please email us at SMC_elections@smc.gov.sg should you require further clarification.